<center><b>Ya-Ya Connection</b></center>

Ya-Ya Connection

To the One Who made friendship,
who launched this ship of friends,
may we bless You...

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

on pampering and denial

Wow, Glenice, good questions...

Q. What do you do to pamper yourself? [pam-per: to treat or gratify with extreme or excessive indulgence, kindness, or care
]
This evokes thoughts of bubble baths, lovely music, a great book, and lots of time. That happens about once/year though. I take time for 'snatches' of pampering, like giving myself a pedicure or having coffee with a friend.

To deny for the sake of denial is asceticism and just another form of legalism. I don't know that you 'need' to come up with some way that you pamper yourself, unless you want to start doing it. God doesn't say we deserve anything but death, isn't that right? But as His children we can indulge in the delights that He delights to provide. We give Him glory as we joy in His provision and kindness. Deny yourself your right to your self, to say when or what or where or how or who, to let Him guide and prompt whatever you do.

The older I get, the simpler it is to delight me. To drink in the faces of my kids, while they're here with me, that's been a tremendous kindness & pleasure I allow myself. If you need a time of refreshment & rejuvenation, take yourself aside and replenish. Are you wanting to know what that looks like for you personally? what it is that would be an indulgence for your spirit? You're the hardest working person, always trying to keep on top of everything that needs to be done and tended to... Do you relax very often? Do you want to? Does your mind get rest enough to feel strong and clear?

This would be a very interesting thing to talk about all together. Don't know if that'll ever happen, but I can imagine the others would be more help than this. I don't have any other answers than my own experience. I'm sorry for the confusion and unclear status of what pampering and denying entail for you. I guess I just don't think about it much. I just do... or don't do...

Love you, my friend.
Thank you for your great gift last Sunday. Such a treasure.

Cheryl, are you up to an update on you? I didn't know you'd started acupuncture. What do you think of that? Any further word on Tina? I talked with her last week, and she is totally, completely immersed in this new & very different world. Absolutely caught up into it. Very interesting. XO

1 comment:

Ya-Ya Connection said...

Thanks Cyndi for the thoughts and for asking Mae. I now realize that that question took my eyes off our ABBA and onto self. I began looking at me...what do I do for me. And this whole time looking for an answer I judged my family so harsely for all of their personal pampering and getting bitter for what I saw. I should never look at others to compare to. I should only look to my Abba. From Him there is peace and acceptance always. He likes me just the way I am with or without pampering. God has allowed all things into my life for a good reason and I am not sure what it is but this I know bitterness is not it. Amen. To be used by and for Him for whatever brings Him pleasure. Thanks be to God !
G